What we do
Fractal is building the world's fastest web browser. We envision a world where your computer's battery lasts for days and your device never slows down, no matter how many browser tabs or web applications you're running.
Today, we're building the world's fastest web browser that's streamed from a powerful datacenter to your computer. This browser runs on plenty of RAM, a powerful graphics card and 1 Gbps Internet speed. Pages load instantly, heavy web applications (i.e. Figma/Bubble, Airtable/Notion, Google Sheets/MS Office, etc.) run quickly, and your laptop doesn't heat up or slow down.
We're a team of 13 experienced engineers committed to fostering an inclusive and fun work environment. We maintain a flat structure, have strong investors, and have lots of room for growth. We're a remote-friendly company with an (optional) office in Union Square, NYC and our employees work from all across North America (and we'll sponsor your visa if you need us to!).
What we want
We're looking for a systems engineer to join our team in a full-time capacity. We are looking for a candidate who is able to write and test high-quality and scalable code in low-level languages (i.e. C/C++, Go, etc.), and who has the creativity and experience to apply their knowledge in networking, algorithms, and multithreading in building complex systems and pioneering the future of computation. Most of all, we're looking for a candidate who isn't afraid of technical challenges and will come in and help us all be better and learn from each other.
What you want
- You're intrigued by what Fractal is doing and want to join our mission to build a better way for people to use applications and experience the Internet.
- You want to improve your skills as a programmer, designer, and entrepreneur as you join us in the exciting world of an early-stage startup tackling a large problem.
- You want to have autonomy over your work and the opportunity to reason through, and make, both large and small design decisions that will be long-lasting.
- You want to challenge yourself by working on complex low-level systems (i.e. in C, Go, etc.) involving a mix of multithreading, complex networking, virtualization, etc.
- You want to dive deep into computer systems, working with graphics drivers and hardware APIs, low-level OS APIs, large open-source projects, kernel modules, and more.
- You want to interface with the Fractal full-stack team to build a cohesive product end-to-end and a scalable and secure infrastructure to enable everyone to use Fractal.
- You want to learn/grow how complex software is built and distributed efficiently and scalably.
What you've done
- You've learned C/C++/Go, and you know how to use it to build high-quality projects
- You've had experience using threads and networking (bonus points if you have a project that you want to show us!)
- You have experience finding and killing bugs in C/C++/Go code, potentially using tools such as GDB, Valgrind, etc. when necessary.
- You are experienced with Linux systems, and know how to build and run Linux VMs and Docker containers for development (bonus points if you use Arch Linux to develop!)
- Bonus points if you have experience working on an open-source projects in C/C++/Go, especially those with a large, active codebase.
- Bonus points if you use ed as your text editor of choice (jk!)
- You have a working knowledge of our overall tech stack — a smattering of networking, virtualization, multithreading, web frameworks and public cloud infrastructure such as AWS and Azure.
- Overall, you're smart, willing to work hard, and open to learning about about any services you may not have worked with before.
What you'll do
- You'll be navigating and learning an unfamiliar codebase in C/C++/Go as you familiarize yourself with our product and our design decisions.
- You'll be asked to creatively deconstruct complex problems that touch a variety of systems into simple tasks that can be tackled effectively and easily.
- You'll be finding and fixing bugs and undefined behavior in existing code, and identifying race conditions, using thorough testing and debugging tools.
- You'll implement new features based on user feedback and strategic goals, matching coding style with existing code. You will be documenting your decisions and writing clear, concise, and correct code, and stress-testing your features to be bug-free, with memory and thread safety of utmost importance.
- You'll be working on exciting and challenging features across various systems, interfacing with technologies like graphics drivers, hardware and OS APIs, virtualization, etc.
- You'll join us as we continue to build out our devOps pipeline (using GitHub Actions, AWS, and Sentry).
- You'll have the opportunity to contribute to non-technical initiatives, including recruiting, team building, design, marketing and customer enablement.
- You'll bring your skillset and experience to grow new initiatives and projects!
Please send your resume and anything else you'd like to share to [email protected]
(or apply to this posting here), along with your associated university and class year (if applicable). We will get back to you as soon as we can. We're super excited to meet you!
Fractal is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive work environment for people of all gender, sexuality, ethnicity, socioeconomic background and life experiences. We urge candidates of all backgrounds to apply. If you require specific accommodations as you interview or consider working with us, please let us know at [email protected]