Descartes Labs is a geospatial intelligence company with science and technology at its core. Launching out of Los Alamos National Laboratory in 2014, we build models of the earth to power the analysis of the world’s largest physical systems. Our data science and software solutions create new sources of operational advantage for Agriculture, Consumer Packaged Goods, Mining, and Government.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
As a Sustainability Product Manager, you will be a member of the Descartes Labs Sustainability team, helping translate specific customer use case needs into repeatable packaged offerings. The customers that you engage with will be primarily CPG companies but may also cover agriculture, mining/metals, and government. You will work with our Science and Technology Solutions team to identify data requirements, articulate ROI, and drive market presence. You will also work with Sales and directly with customers to identify opportunities to generate revenue from packaged analytics and potential high value derivatives on the Descartes Labs Platform.
- Deliver requirements, roadmaps, pricing, and packaging of packaged analytics products for Descartes Labs Sustainability use cases
- Work with our applied scientists and our engineers to develop hypotheses, prototypes, and repeatable offerings that incorporate customer data as well as our own datasets to drive new insights for our Sustainability use cases
- Work with Sales and Marketing on go-to-market strategies for new products
- Conduct research with customers and prospects to understand their decision making processes, needs, and gaps, the types of data they need, and identify common patterns that pair valuable data and algorithms for new products
- Work with our Data and Partnerships teams on identifying value for additional datasets on the platform to augment the DL Catalog and packaged offerings
- Work with business unit leadership on the future product vision for Sustainability at DL
- Work with Product Marketing Managers on product/feature launches: blog posts, release notes, webinars
- Define, track and interpret key business success metrics for the products you own
- Own cross-functional interactions for your products and features (across engineering/marketing/field/sales/partnerships)
What You Bring
- 5-7 years of experience in a product management, sustainability focused role
- Solid understanding of the objectives and decision making processes for corporate sustainability initiatives and CPG companies
- Professional experience in sustainability and SaaS
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience managing complex projects with explicit deadlines
- Ability to quickly grasp and translate technical concepts and details
- Experience with customer interactions related to software products, product definition, success metrics, feature prioritization, and guidance of engineering and design work to deliver a polished market-ready product
- Product management experience (inbound, outbound, cross-functional processes)
- Working knowledge of geospatial and/or remote sensing technology, products, and data
- Experience with programming, data analysis, or scripting languages
- Advanced experience with platforms, APIs, SaaS architecture
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egos are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
You belong here! Nobody checks every box and if your experience and interests match some of the above, we want you to apply.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community, where employees feel they belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.