Cribl’s LogStream unlocks the value of all machine data in ways that were previously not possible by providing users a new level of observability, intelligence and control over their real-time data. We are looking for a Principal Engineer to build integrations between third party data systems which are foundational to making this possible by bringing data into the system, routing, processing (reshaping), and forwarding it to its final destination. Some may say Cribl’s greatest accomplishment thus far is having our software deployed in some of the largest organizations in the world processing 100s of TB to PB of IT & Security data. Others may attribute that to our massive amount of goat gifs that we’ve harvested from the Internet. It’s difficult to know for sure.
As a Principal Engineer at Cribl, you will build the software components that enable LogStream to collect and send data between closed and open source systems. Additionally, you will provide technical and thought leadership to the team in order to continually improve our technologies, tools, and processes. This role is equal parts research and development. If you enjoy diving deep into new technologies, understanding how they work, and slinging code to bind them together, this role might be the right one for you. In this role, you will join a team of skilled engineers committed to shipping the highest quality software and ensuring our customers’ satisfaction. This is a fully remote role and Cribl is a remote first company. Our culture embraces the diversity of team members spread all across the globe.
- Develop features that integrate Cribl’s data stream processing engine with data systems such as Splunk, Elastic Search, Kafka, AWS S3, Azure Blob Storage, Google Cloud Storage.
- Rapidly develop subject matter expertise in a diverse set of third party technologies by provisioning, building, and configuring all necessary systems and/or accounts necessary in facilitating the R&D process.
- Provide technical and thought leadership to the products and tools that we deliver
- Mentor and coach junior engineers on the team
- Contribute to the technical roadmap by partnering with PM and Eng leaders
- Introduce performance and efficiency improvements across our products and processes
- Champion teamwork, engineering best practices, and a customer focused mindset
- Take lead on feature development while balancing the responsibilities of high quality software development with those of evangelism and coaching of others on the team
- Design, develop, test, and maintain clear, concise, and robust code that achieves the desired outcomes for our customers
- Ensure our features work as expected by creating robust test plans paired with comprehensive automated tests
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, UX designers, and business teams to translate feature specifications into implementable code
- Work closely with peers on your team by providing feedback on feature design and code reviews
- Engage our users by contributing to internal and external blogs related to the products that you help develop
- BS in CS/EE with 12+ years of experience or MS with 8+ years.
- Expert knowledge of building products that leverage large scale data sets
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; able to explain complex technical topics to both internal and external stakeholders with ease and in remote/distributed environments
Self driven and motivated with demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and develop prototypes quickly.
- Expert knowledge of data structures, algorithms, operating systems, and distributed systems
- Strong experience with performance optimization of complex systems
- Expert knowledge of designing, implementing, and interfacing with REST APIs
- Experience with Agile processes and rapid iterative development
- Excellent ability to maintain focus on outcomes without getting bogged down
Experience using services from cloud based platforms such as AWS, Azure, and GCP
- Strong sense of ownership with focus on high quality and high performing deliverables
- Experience with authorization and authentication standards such as Oauth2, OpenID Connect, LDAP and SAML is a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 APIs is a plus
- No fear! Speak your mind
- Good jokes, or maybe better, bad jokes
- A love for goats
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- 401(k) plan offered
- Parental Leave
- Professional Development and Career Growth
- Generous Vacation and Holiday Policy, including 2 Floating Holidays to use for holidays you observe
- Social Responsibility Employee Group that reflects our value-driven company culture
Diversity drives innovation, enables better decisions to support our customers, and inspires change for the better. We’re building a culture where differences are valued and welcomed. We work together to bring out the best in each other. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.