As a backend engineer in the Freemium Business Unit, you’ll have the opportunity to have a significant impact on Spotify’s growth by reaching new users, markets and audiences. We achieve this by truly understanding the needs of our users, and by innovating to solve real problems for them, building solutions across the entire Spotify infrastructure to support our goal. Your work in this team will ultimately impact the way the world experiences music and audio content and is crucial to Spotify’s future success!
Our team’s focus is to enable users to purchase any product Spotify has to offer by building a state of the art Commerce platform. We’re investing heavily into this product area as we look to reimagine the distributed services we need in order to best serve Spotify's current and future commerce goals, as we look to diversify and evolve our products further.
The engineering team is not only responsible for building world-class technical solutions but is also deeply involved in the conceptualisation part of the process. We work closely with user researchers, data scientists and designers to build hypotheses around opportunities related to specific cultures, regions or markets. These hypotheses are tested and validated by building A/B tests and prototypes before shipped to all of our end users.
What you'll do
- Evolve, scale and platformise marketplace commerce capabilities for Spotify
- Develop commerce features that enable the creator economy, by supporting products across the Spotify ecosystem
- Help lead the engineering crafts across the squad, Product area and Tribe
- Work with squads across the Product area and Tribe to develop the commerce platform
Who you are
- You have strong fundamentals in computer science and previous experience building backend products at scale
- You have a strong proficiency in backend technologies such as Java and Python
- You have an intermediate to advanced understanding of distributed, high-volume services, JVM concepts, and architecture patterns
- You have experience designing, implementing and scaling cloud-native software components on providers like AWS or GCP is highly desirable.
- You are comfortable working collaboratively on a cross-functional team, working project-based and also driving delivery on small to medium-sized initiatives
- Growth mentality, are curious and not afraid to be experimental. You share your ideas and continuously improve yourself and the team around you
- Passionate about engineering practices like agile, continuous delivery, test-driven development, defensive programming and circuit-breakers
Where you'll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the EMEA region in which we have a work location
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences.
- Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here. Working hours? We operate within the Central European time zone for collaboration
- We ask that our team members be located within Greenwich Mean time zone, Central European time zone, or Eastern European standard time zone for the purposes of our collaboration hours