Delivering the best Spotify experience possible. To as many people as possible. In as many moments as possible. That’s what the Experience team is all about. We use our deep understanding of consumer expectations to enrich the lives of millions of our users all over the world, bringing the music and audio they love to the devices, apps and platforms they use every day. Know what our users want? Join us and help Spotify give it to them.
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer to join our Experience Mission product area. Our teams are responsible for all of Spotify’s consumer experiences across our mobile apps as well as platforms like desktop, web, TVs, speakers, cars, wearables, and partner application integrations to make Spotify available wherever our users are.
As a Staff Engineer, you will architect, design, develop, deploy and operate features that are used by millions of users. You‘ll be the technical leader for a department, contributing hands-on in a team, while leading technical projects spanning multiple teams. We are looking for someone who can drive development and delivery, build sound architecture and foster best practices when it comes to development, as well as mentor other engineers to grow.
What you'll do
- Be a leader of the Spotify engineering community, driving and influencing our architecture across the company.
- Drive best engineering practices within your team(s) by defining and teaching them.
- Acquire broad knowledge about our topology, in particular, our numerous platforms and partner integrations to be able to effectively represent them in conversations internally and externally
- Work hands-on in a team solving technical problems to deliver great value to users.
- Work efficiently with legacy code and suggest incremental improvements.
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise.
- Be a department-level expert in a particular area or the go-to person for solving problems in your field.
- Be a technical thought partner to department leadership and build trust with our strategic partners.
- Spread learning and knowledge across the organization, and advocate and help implement sustainable engineering practices.
- Facilitate collaboration between teams, departments, engineers, product managers, designers, and product insights specialists.
- Manage dependencies for complex projects in a fast-changing environment and bring clarity and focus.
Who you are
- Have proven experience as a technical leader for a team/department.
- Have several years of working experience in building user-friendly, data-rich, scalable applications.
- Have led technical projects spanning multiple teams.
- Comfortable navigating ambiguity and have the ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making abilities
- A strong communicator and can easily explain a complex technical architecture to different audiences
- Have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment.
- Possess a deep understanding of the product and business goals which you can translate into tech.
- Have a detailed understanding of software development at scale, constraints and challenges, and apply them to systems and software development
- Show a deep knowledge of how to write robust, maintainable applications, and a reasonable understanding of how to build and work with distributed high-volume backend servers.
- Experienced in identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues.
- Professional in mentoring engineering teams and encouraging best methodologies.