Come build the premier mobile Wikipedia experience! The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an iOS Software Engineer to join our team, reporting to the Apps Engineering Manager. You will work closely with the rest of our small, collaborative group to iterate on new ideas for the award-winning Wikipedia iOS app. In this role, you will create new features, fix bugs, and define the future of Wikipedia on mobile devices.
Each day, millions of people use the open source Wikipedia app in over three hundred languages. Help us thoughtfully craft user experiences that empower and delight our users as they read and contribute to the world’s largest resource for free knowledge.
You are responsible for:
- Writing clean, concise code in Swift
- Working with other engineers through discussions, code review, and more
- Collaborating with designers, product managers, and other engineers to iterate on new features
- Ensuring the quality of the app through thoughtful code architecture decisions and automated testing
Skills and Experience:
- At least 1 year of iOS development experience. (Our iOS engineers are excited to share knowledge and tips they’ve picked up over the years - and also look forward to learning from you!)
- At least one app in the iOS App Store that you’ve contributed to. (We’d love to see what you’ve been working on.)
- Familiarity with the iOS Human Interface Guidelines and their implementation. (We’re creative, while staying true to best iOS practices.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (Our team is remote, but we still enjoy close collaboration!)
Qualities that are important to us:
- A desire to learn and discover - about iOS development, about what the root cause of an obscure bug is, about how the Wikipedia communities operate, and more.
- Constantly improving your craft in pursuit of creating the best possible user experiences and solving complex problems
- Proactively finding and reporting potential bugs or user experience issues for discussion with the team
- We are a global organization with flexible work schedules, but we’re also collaborative. To ensure there are enough opportunities to communicate, this role needs at least four hours of your work day to occur between 14:00 UTC and 0:00 UTC.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Some Objective-C experience. Like many apps that have been around for a while, the Wikipedia app is a mix of Swift and some legacy Objective-C code. While you don’t need to be an Obj-C expert, you shouldn’t be terrified if you end up in an Objective-C class while tracking down the source of a bug.
- Written unit and UI tests
- Built web services or APIs
- Experience collaborating with a globally distributed team
- Contributed to Wikipedia or other open projects
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.