At Highstreet Mobile, our mission is to deliver the world’s best shopping experience with beautifully designed apps for global fashion and lifestyle brands. We’re currently serving over 30 apps for Android and iOS and support most of the biggest e-commerce platforms.
We have an opening for an experienced Fullstack developer to join our Studio team. In this team, you will be working on Studio, the self-service center our customers use to control their apps. It allows them to create and edit content for their apps, send push notifications to their users, and many more things.
We see Studio as an essential tool in our mission to create the best possible user experience in e-commerce, both for shoppers and brands alike. Our team puts just as much love and effort into designing and building Studio as we do into our consumer apps. The goal is to let Studio become a total self-service control center that will allow our brands to fully manage their apps.
The Studio team is a small bunch of developers and designers, so there’s plenty of room to make an impact: write quality code, have it undergo code review, ship it to production, track app reliability, and help others to do the same.
Although we have a beautiful office in Utrecht (The Netherlands), we’ve transitioned to becoming a remote-first company since the beginning of 2020. While a large part of our team is based in The Netherlands, we’ve got people working for us from all over Europe: we’re currently eight nationalities, living in nine countries. And we put a lot of effort into making everyone feel at home. It’s up to you from where you’ll join us.
Our tech stack, how we work, and what you’ll work on
Studio consists of a RESTful API written in Ruby on Rails and a React frontend. On the backend, we use PostgreSQL, DelayedJob, dry-rb, minitest, and deploy to Google Cloud Platform using Kubernetes. For the frontend, we like functional components, Redux, Saga, Jest, and deploy to Netlify.
Last year we started to use the Shape-Up methodology to develop our products. In short, this means you’ll work in a largely autonomous team together with mobile engineers and designers in six-week cycles for focused work, followed by a two-week cooldown period which can be used to work on whatever you want.
Earlier this year, we used a single cycle to ship an entirely new tool to create and edit video lookbooks. It allows brands to upload a video, link merchandise to keyframes, and publish the lookbook to their app. This was challenging on many levels, but Shape-Up helped us define the scope and ship a useful feature at the end of the cycle.
Because we work remotely, we have few recurring meetings, and instead, often communicate asynchronously. Of course, when we think it’s more efficient, we sometimes pull a few people together to discuss stuff in a call. (We like Tuple and Around.)
In your first month
- Get up to speed with our tech stack and current projects
- Meet everyone from design to sales to support to learn about their areas of expertise
- Work on a small-batch project and have it shipped to production
In your first 3 months
- Feel comfortable in most of the essential parts of our Studio codebase
- Be responsible for one or more big-batch projects
- Review code by team members
Within your first 12 months
- Know all the details of both the API and the frontend codebase and how they interact with each other
- Help set the technical direction of Studio to make sure it will meet our customers demands and product vision
This is what you have to offer
- You are a mid-level/senior developer with working knowledge of both Ruby (or a similar backend technology) and React
- You have at least 3 years of professional experience in designing and building RESTful API’s
- You like to take pride in the things you build
- Attention to detail: you write tests, think of edge-cases, and care about user experience
- Enjoy learning new things and aren’t afraid to experiment and fail
- Preferable have experience in working in an async remote context
- Eligible to work in the EU
This is what we offer to you
- Flourish in a culture of trust, ownership, and standard of excellence
- Work remotely whenever you want
- Possibility to work from our HQ at the heart of Utrecht (where delicious lunches are provided daily and we’ve got weekly team drinks on Friday)
- Ability to work anywhere between 32-40 hours/week, on a flexible schedule
- 25 vacation days + 5 flex days
- Compensation package based on skills and experience (incl. options and bonuses)
- Parental leave (5 weeks paid leave for partners) - NL employees only
- We pay 70% of your pension plan - NL employees only
- Yearly get-together, either by bringing all team members to a unique destination or by flying remote team members to Utrecht (when this is possible again, of course)
- You’ll be employed directly at Highstreet or through long-term contracting based on your location and personal preferences
We can only consider candidates who hold a valid EU Passport or Dutch work permit.
Why you’ll love working with us
We are proud of our fantastic product and believe it has lots of potential. We are growing fast and have fun while building our platform and company. We try to foster a progressive and innovative environment with a lot of freedom and flexibility and give people a lot of trust and responsibility. Join us if you value a company where you can be yourself, work in a small team without corporate structures, and can contribute to a progressive working environment for everyone.
Our hiring process
- Apply through our website
- Personal interview with Petra, our head of HR
- Technical interview with Vincent, the Engineering Lead of the Studio team
- Code assignment (expect 4-8 hours of work, in your own time)
- Assignment Review call with Vincent and Lucian, one of our backend engineers
- Final call with Christian, our CTO
- We extend you an offer