We’re not looking for rockstars, zombies, or magicians. We’re looking for motivated, creative, and resourceful developers who take pride in their work and want to partner with clients who are pushing the boundaries of the technology we work with.
Software Developers at Alley work collaboratively to understand the challenges facing our clients and implement effective and meaningful technological solutions, frequently using WordPress. Your responsibilities will range from technical discovery that informs custom feature builds to custom architecture and development to large-scale data migrations for a high volume of content.
Software Developers at Alley need to be well-rounded technologists who have a holistic understanding of the web technology stacks that we work with, are excited about keeping our team at the cutting edge, and are eager to work directly with clients to help them solve interesting and novel business problems.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, Black people, indigenous people, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, disabled people, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
For information on our hiring process and what it’s like to work at Alley, please check out our FAQ
. If you have any questions about our hiring process, please contact us at [email protected]
- Our primary development language is PHP. You must be fully fluent in PHP and have worked with it in a professional context before.
- Prior experience with WordPress and/or Laravel is a major plus. If you haven’t worked with either, you should be excited to learn and develop with them.
- Alley prides itself on its ability to address unusual, novel, and complex problems that deal with the intersection of technology, business, and content production. You should understand and be able to discuss web technologies and systems conceptually, and be able to demonstrate that you can learn a new language, technology stack, or framework quickly and on demand.
- You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren’t an expert.
- You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching, merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code yourself.
- We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a philosophy. You must be open to working this way as well, and prior experience is a plus.
- You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
- Discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes code good and readable, and a committed attitude about documentation, user stories, issue tracking, and timesheets are all very important skills for our developers to have.
We offer competitive salaries and company subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits. We also offer a 401(k) with company matching, a profit sharing plan, and a monthly lunch allowance.
We have no set hours and do not limit vacation or sick time. We trust our team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to recharge, and we suggest an average of three weeks off per year.
We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home or from a co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office or rent you a co-working space.
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at Alley are carried out by our staff.